search the site:  | site map
Hingham Massachusetts, Incorporated 1635, History & Pride
 

Town Government &
  Services:

 

Committees: Hingham Memorial Bell Tower Committee

2012 Annual Report

Happy 100th Birthday Hingham Memorial Bell Tower.

The foyer of the Tower is called the Memorial Room. The stone opposite the front door is called the Hingham Stone. It was given by the people in England to be used as a cornerstone for the Tower. Its irregular shape prevented this use but a pedestal was prepared for it inside the Tower. The stone, the largest stone that old Hingham had (the soil is very fine and the largest stones are about the size of bricks) stood in the town square for centuries and was used as a mounting block to aid the public in mounting their horses. The stone is mentioned in the earliest of town records and believed to have been brought to the site by Druids and used in worship. It was presented to the people of Hingham by the British Ambassador in 1912. The people of Hingham MA sent a stone from the cellar hole of the tower to old Hingham to replace its stone. It can be seen in the photographs of the Hingham, England Tower Square on the wall above the Hingham Stone.

We welcome guests to visit the Tower and maybe even try their hand at ringing on our Tuesday evening ringing night at 7:00 pm, weather permitting. We look forward to seeing visitors.

Kenneth W. Drescher
Joan R. Getto
Martha Ryan
Ann Shilhan
Michael Shilhan
Dorcas Wagner

 

Appointees

Kenneth W. Drescher Michael Shilhan
John McKendry Dorcas V. Wagner
Shirley Newsom Justine L. W. Thurston
Nancy Stimson Eugene Shaw
Joan Getto Elizabeth Shaw