Link back to Harbor Development Committee page

Hingham Harbor Development Committee
Meeting Minutes September 10, 2008

Meeting was called to order at 7:30 pm; a quorum was confirmed.

Committee Members Present:
Nick Amdur, Dave Beal, Chris Daly, Adrienne Ramsey, Alan Perrault, Robert Mosher

Members Not Present
Warren Nottleson

Other Speakers:
Jim Clarke, Nick Bonn

New Members of the Committee:
Chairman Amdur introduced the new members, Robert Mosher and Alan Perrault.

Previous Meeting Minutes:
Minutes from meeting of August 8, 2008 were unanimously approved.

Dredging Update:
Nick Amdur advised that the funding for the dredging was approved by Governor Patrick but there are two issues:

  1. The most recent quotes for the dredging have come in 2-3 times the original estimate of $3 million; this needs follow-up.
  2. There have been caps placed on the amount of funding the Department of Environmental Management can spend on dredging projects. It is not 100% clear yet what these caps are. Acting Town Administrator Betty Foley is in touch with Reps. Bradley and Hedlund to get additional details. Harbormaster Souther is also investigating.

Based on this information the chances of dredging of the Inner Harbor this Fall are very slim.

Dock Policy:
Chris Daly gave an update and provided background information on the Dock and Pier Policy. A first draft outline that includes and opening description was provided to the Committee members. Upon completion of the draft C. Daly will provide to Committee members for review. It will then be submitted to Conservation Commission as they will be responsible for moving the policy forward. The goal remains the same, to have a Dock and Pier Policy ready for next Town Meeting.

Coast Sweep 2008:
Adrienne Ramsey provided an update for the Coastsweep 2008 which is scheduled for Saturday, September 13th from 10am to 2 pm. A notice will be in the Hingham Journal this week. A. Ramsey to contact the DPW to confirm garbage pick up at the end of the event. N. Amdur to contact the Harbormaster to confirm availability for boat rides for the children participating.

Engineering Study for a Pedestrian Bridge over the Mill Pond Outfall:
Nick Amdur started the discussion on the Pedestrian Bridge by giving a history of the project. Dave Beal provided a current update on the Pedestrian Bridge project.

Bayside Engineering, retained to provide preliminary design options and costs estimates, offered three alternatives:

  1. Move the existing concrete barrier and build a sidewalk behind it.
  2. Leave the barrier in its current location and attach a bridge behind it.
  3. Build an independent bridge next to sidewalk and barrier.

The costs estimates for each of these projects ranged from $307,000 to $450,000.
The committee discussed the benefit and feasibility of the project at these price levels. Movement of the traffic signal control box was also discussed.

Dave Beal advised that a significant portion of the costs for each of these three options was due to associated traffic control costs. As an alternative a bridge from Whitney Wharf to the back side of the Town Property behind the 3 Otis Street property would significantly reduce the costs and also eliminate the requirement for pedestrians to walk across an active and narrow parking area and entrance from Route 3A. Obtaining cost estimates from Bayside Engineering for this option would require additional funding.

Nick Bonn, new owner of the 3 Otis Street property, commented that he would be open to discussing this option for the bridge with the Town.

Nick Amdur made a motion to schedule a meeting with HIDC and the CPC, and any other necessary committees, to discuss the project, continue the exploration of alternatives and obtain the feedback on the project from the other committees. Dave Beal seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.

New Business:


The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 pm. The next meeting is scheduled for October 8, 2008; 7:30 pm, Town Hall.