Back to Recreation Commission Meeting Minutes
September 9, 2010
Call to Order:by Frank Jones at 7:08 p.m.
Present: Frank Jones(Chairman), Bud Thorne, Paul Paget, Trevor Byrne, Tom Belyea
Acceptance of August 5, 2010 Minutes: Motion by Bud Thorne, 2nd by Trevor Byrne. Passed: Unanimous
Open Forum: None
Old Business: See Director's Report.
Ward St. Proposed Field Atty. Jeff Tocchio (Drohan Tocchio & Morgan, PC) gave an update on behalf of the proponents. The proposal is before Conservation Commission and will go before Zoning Board of Appeals. Highlights of discussion:
1. No electrical utilities to be brought in for future upgrades.
2. A well will be provided for new field irrigation. It is unclear if all fields will benefit or be fully equipped.
3. The field location was shifted away from a vernal pool, meeting setback regs.
4. The existing parking and frontage will be "dressed up" with a 2nd accessway.
5. Parking at the new field has been reduced from 194 to 150 spots.
6. Handicapped parking on hard surface not finalized. New field parking and drive surfaces to be concrete/gravel, with existing(recreation) parking upgrades.
7. Project to be privately funded from $500,000 gift.
8. There will be a construction agreement with Selectmen, and a management agreement with the Recreation Department.
9. The proponents plan to complete this project before this Winter.
Tom Belyea attended the 8-9-10 DPW meeting on design presentation. Concerns raised by him at this meeting were vandalism, maintenance, and park management. The park design is open and unsecured.
At the 9-9-10 Recreation Commission meeting, Commissioners raised a range of issues regarding park management, in anticipation of assuming a managerial role of the Skateboard Park(for the Selectmen) as part of the Carlson Complex. The commissioners asked Director Mark Thorell to research other successful skateboard park operations and develop a list of management considerations to review at a future meeting. Specifically, the Recreation Commission is interested in identifying and anticipating ongoing management issues to bring to the attention of the DPW Planning Committee and others involved in the project decisions.
Of the $175,000 in taxpayer funds appropriated to build the park, no funds are available for maintenance and upkeep. Fees currently raised at Carlson Complex by private youth organizations pay for maintenance and upkeep of the specific field(s) the organization uses.
Director's Report See Director's Report. Paul Paget recused from discussion and vote on proposal to:1.adjust employee payscale, 2.grandfather existing pay levels, and 3. update titles. Motion by Bud Thorne, 2nd by Trevor Byrne Passed: 4-0. 1 Recused.
Chairman/Committee Reports: None
Signing of Warrants and Bills: None
Motion to Adjourn: Made by Bud Thorne; 2nd by Trevor Byrne Passed: Unanimous
Meeting adjourned at 9:17 p.m.
Recreation Commission Meeting Minutes September 9, 2010
1. Ward St. North Field Proposal(dated 7-13-10). Copy sent via email from Atty Jeff Tocchio to Selectmen(5 pages).Copy not included in minutes.
2. Reserve Fund Transfer Request(dated 8-30-10)(for $21,000) Associated with Town Hall Basement/Rec Center(Fitness Room) flooding, sent from Roger Fernandes to Betty Foley(Selectmen's Office)(2 pages). Approved at 9-7-10 Selectmen's Meeting. Copy not included in minutes.
3. Director's Report(dated 9-9-10) from Mark Thorell to Commission. Copy provided in minutes.
4. Rec Barn Estimate(dated 8-20-10) from Roger Fernandes to Mark Thorell. Copy provided in minutes.
5. Recreation titles and payscale, prior and proposed, from Mark Thorell to Commission. Copy provided in minutes.