search the site:  | site map
Hingham Massachusetts, Incorporated 1635, History & Pride

Town Government &


Departments: Town Clerk

210 Central Street
Hingham, MA 02043-2759
Phone 781-741-1410
FAX 781-740-0239
Hours of Operation:
M-W-Th 8:30am - 4:30pm
Tues 8:30am-7:00pm
Fri 8:30am-1:00pm
Contact Us

Important Links :

Town By-Laws (PDF, 408k)

viewable with Adobe Acrobat Reader® software. Available free from the Adobe® website.

get acrobat

Licenses & Permits

MARRIAGE INTENTIONS – Marriage Intentions may be filed in any Town Clerk’s office within the Commonwealth, when you are planning to be married in Massachusetts.

  • Bride & Groom must file together.
  • 3-Day waiting period from filing date to the pick-up of the license (can be waived through the courts).
  • Anyone can pick up the completed license on your behalf.
  • License is valid for 60 days from the filing date.
  • Filing fee is $40.00 which includes one certified copy of the license.

BURIAL PERMITS – The Town Clerk issues Burial Permits to Funeral Directors.  There is a filing fee of $10.00, plus $10.00 each for certified copies of death certificates.  Should the Town Clerk’s office be closed, permits will be issued by the Downing Funeral Home at 21 Pond Street, Hingham.

Death certificates must be completed by the Funeral Home, signed by doctors and medical examiners, and may include a nurse’s statement (if pronounced by an attending nurse) or veteran’s affidavit, if decedent was a veteran.

FLAMMABLE LICENSES – The Code of Massachusetts Regulations 527 CMR 14.00 and ART. 20 under the Massachusetts General Laws requires a Flammable License to be issued for:

  • Class I Fluids over 10,000 gallons
  • Class I Fluids – Bulk Storage (fixed) over 10,000 gallons
  • Class I Fluids – Non Bulk Storage over 793 gallons
  • Class II Fluids over 10,000 gallons
  • Class III Fluids over 10,000 gallons
  • Flammable Solids over 100 pounds
  • Flammable Gases within a building over 3,000 cf.
  • Flammable Gases outside a building over 10,000 cf.

An application must be made to the Selectmen’s office and a hearing held prior to mailing the fee.  If you have any questions as to whether you must hold a license, contact Capt. David Damstra, Hingham Fire Department, at (781) 741-1488, to arrange a site visit.

There is an annual fee of $100.00, due and payable by January 1st.  Checks should be made payable to the Town of Hingham and mailed to the Town Clerk, 210 Central Street, Hingham, MA. 02043.

PRECIOUS & SECOND-HAND METALS PERMIT – Should your business be as a holder/seller/dealer of precious and second-hand metals, a valid license must be on-site. Application must be made through the Town Clerk’s office, and there is an annual fee of $50.00.  Checks are payable on January 1st to the Town of Hingham and should be sent to the Town Clerk.

DOG LICENSES – The Town of Hingham licenses dogs on a variable scale.  Depending on the expiration date of the rabies vaccine, a license may be purchased for up to 3 years.  There is a small savings when purchasing a 2 or 3-year tag.  Licenses cannot be issued beyond the rabies expiration date.


Charge for licenses Male/Female ($) Neutered/Spayed ($)
3 months 3.00 2.00
6 months 7.00 4.00
9 months 11.00 6.00
1 year  15.00 8.00
1 year 3 months 17.50 9.50
1 year 6 months 20.00 11.00
1 year 9 months 22.50 12.50
2 year 25.00 14.00
2 year 3 months 27.50 15.50
2 year 6 months 30.00 17.00
2 year 9 months 32.50 18.50
3 years 35.00 20.00

Kennel Licenses are only issued with the approval of the Animal Control Officer, who can be reached at (781) 741-1490, to make an appointment for a site visit.

For additional information, please contact the Town Clerk’s office at (781) 741-1410.

HUNTING AND FISHING LICENSES AND STATE STAMPS – The Town Clerk's office no longer sells Hunting and Fishing Licenses as well as the State Collector Stamps. Please contact The Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife (MassWildlife), 100 Hartwell Street, Suite 230, West Boylston MA 01583; Tel: (508) 389-6300; Fax: (508) 389-7890.

RAFFLE PERMITSThe Town of Hingham issues raffle permits to groups or organizations that intend to hold raffles during a function.  Applications can be obtained from the Clerk’s office or downloadthe Raffle permit application and file with the Town Clerk’s office, 210 Central Street, Hingham, MA. 02043.  There is a filing fee of $10.00 payable with the application.

Once the application has been filed and the fee paid, it is forwarded to the Chief of Police for approval.  The Town Clerk then issues a certificate that must be held on-site in full view of the public on the day of the event.  The certificate is valid for one year.  Forms are given to the party hosting the event to be filled out and submitted to the Massachusetts State Lottery in Braintree indicating the winners, the net proceeds and the uses to which the proceeds were applied.


Birth Certificate (Typed or Copied - With Town Seal)
Birth Certificate (Abstract Copy – No Town Seal)
Burial Permit
Business Certificate (New or Renewal – 4 Years)
Business Certificate (Cancellation or Change)
Business Certificate List (Current/Complete)
Business Trust
By-Laws (General)
Death Certificate (Typed or Copied - With Town Seal)
Death Certificate (Abstract Copy – No Town Seal)
Declaration of Trust
Dog License (Spayed/Neutered) 1, 2, 3 Years
Dog License (Male/Female) 1, 2, 3 Years
Dog Owner List (Current/Complete)
Fishing License
Flammable Permit
Genealogy Search (Per Name)
Hunting/Sporting License
Hunting Stamps
Kennel License
Marriage Certificate (Typed or Copied – With Town Seal)
Marriage Certificate (Abstract Copy – No Town Seal)
Marriage Intentions (Includes One Certified Copy of License)
Mooring Permits (13’ or Larger)
$7 Per Foot
A Smile
Photo Copies
$ .20 Per Page
Pole Location
Precious & Second Hand Metals Permit $50
Raffle Permit
Shellfish Permit
Street List Book (Plus $4.50 S&H When Mailing)
Street List Disk (Residents Over 17 Years of Age)
Street List Disk (Head of Household)
Voter Registration Card/Resident Letter